Brown Sugar Glazed Apple Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ sugar
- ½ cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 small crisp apples
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ tsp. heavy cream
Return to Recipes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, spice blend, baking powder, ¾ tsp. salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in another medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fulffy, about 1 minute. Add yogurt and vanilla; beat to combine Gradually beat in oil and continue beating until well-combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat just until combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Grate one apple onto a paper towel and blot to remove excess moisture. Fold the grated apple into the batter. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Halve and thinly slice the remaining apple. Arrange the slices decoratively on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, heat brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cream and a pinch of salt and bring to a simmer. Immediately remove from heat and let cool, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Drizzle the glaze over the cake.